Trayvon’s Life Lost Too Soon

July 16, 2013 in Publisher's Corner

Trayvon Martin Wearing HoodieSANFORD, Fla. — The Hammill Post sends its deepest condolences to Trayvon Martin’s family. Losing a child and a loved-one is never easy. It is never fair. It is never easy to forget. Perhaps we are not meant to forget.

Trayvon will not be forgotten. He will be carried in the hearts and minds of those who knew him and those who came to know him. His passing will serve as a continuing reminder of the value of each and every human being.

Trayvon was born to Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin Feb. 5, 1995. He was a 17-year-old junior at Dr. Michael M. Krop High School. Trayvon lived with his mother, following his parents’ divorce, in Miami Gardens, Fla. He was visiting with his father in Sanford, Fla. where his short life ended in a tragic shooting Feb. 26, 2012.

President Barack Obama said March 23, 2012, “…obviously, this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids.”

Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s father, remembers him as a heroic boy, saving his life as a nine-year-old child.

He recalled in an interview with NPR, “The kitchen cabinets had caught fire. The first thing I saw was a towel on the kitchen counter. I took the towel and threw it, trying to smother the pot … the towel drug the pot off the stove. The grease splattered all over my legs. My body went into shock.

“I tried to stand up. I couldn’t stand up. So, I started calling out to [Trayvon]. I called him for a couple of minutes and finally he wakes up. … He opened the [front] door. … He grabbed me and pulled me out of the kitchen onto the patio. He went back in the house and grabbed the phone, came back out on the patio and called 911.”

Trayvon’s friends describe him as a gentle person, despite testimony to the contrary at George Zimmerman’s trial.

According to a 911 recording reported by a local resident Feb. 26, a boy was heard screaming for help in the background the night Trayvon died. The woman feared to get involved. Subsequently, gunfire was heard.